The original name of the Chapel of Our Lady of Penha is "Capela de Nossa Senhora da Penha de França." The term "Penha" in Portuguese means a rocky hill by the sea. It is located atop Penha Hill, overlooking the sea on the western side of the Macau Peninsula. The chapel was built in 1622, on the site previously occupied by a fortress to defend against potential Dutch invasions. Its exceptionally beautiful scenery has made it a popular choice for many couples to take wedding photos.